Friday, October 31, 2014

This looks like it will be the last post of my quarantine experience. It's been quite a run, you guys but I am finally free tomorrow night. Try to hold in your disappointment and please do not wish ill on me in order to get me to be trapped in another unfortunate circumstance just so I have something to write about (karma is for real).

I have been told that I am officially quarantined until Friday at midnight, however the active monitoring is quite lax so I may be able to escape into the real world early.  One problem though, costume ideas are running thin at this point so I might just adhere to the strict letter of the quarantine rules in order to avoid being out on Halloween and either (i) finding a dumb costume that has no thought put into it and looks terrible, or (ii) not wearing any costume at all. To be honest I feel like they both still elicit the same stupid questions from the guys who spent way too much time and money on their costumes, and regardless of the route I take (i or ii) my answers remain the same: "No, I didn't do anything because I had better things to do than spend a bunch of time and money on one night out of the year. Now if you'll excuse me, I have Christmas shopping to do."

When trying to figure out what to write about, I solicited a few choice readers for suggestions (you know who you are, and yes you should feel lucky). All the input I received was equally bad. But due to a lack of original ideas of my own, I chose to touch on each one of them for my last post.

Idea 1: Things that helped me get through this process:

- Developing an acute case of xenophobia. Although, in hindsight this also might make it more difficult for me to assimilate back into regular culture.
- Thinking about all the money I saved on gas and bar tabs by not going anywhere.
- Frequent vegetable oil baths.
- Fackzilla mirror workout selfies.

Ladies, believe it or not, he's single ...
- Working on my new clothing line: "Ebrola". It's for bros with Ebola, obviously. The basic premise behind it is that it contains a special stain retardant so that it stays clean for 21 days. Ebola Couture is still a viable name in the running at this point though. I think the fall line of handbags could really be a hit in the 18-24 demographic.
- People on the outside constantly reminding me that "it's not that bad". To be honest, it wasn't. But giving me your $0.02 of your perception of my reality was unnecessary.
- Retail therapy - bought a bunch of stuff I didn't need in an apparent attempt to fill the void of human contact. Seriously, I know I did not need these things but I guess I have a pretty trendy fall wardrobe now. In other news, I'm unsubscribing to the J Crew mailing list. I never even bought anything off that site specifically, however they'd send me their daily newsletter of overpriced junk -- and upon a closer look, the things in the newsletter were actually ... cool. So there I'd find myself 15 minutes later googling to find an alternative "henley" or whatever by another brand that was just as good if not better because for some reason I had now brainwashed myself into thinking that I needed it. After finding this out, who knows how many thousands of dollars my morning small talk over coffee has saved over the years?
- Care packages - the duncan butterfly yo-yo was a personal favorite. A close second was the losing a care package to a federal felony (pretty upset about it).
- Sleep - I typically get up at 5 every morning so that I can make swim practice or get a workout in and still have enough time to get ready for work. Now I just have to be plugged in by 8 am, allowing me to get up substantially later. An alternative option is to sleep until 8, and then just run at lunch. It was incredibly easy to get used to sleeping in, and I know this transition back to getting up at 5 is going to be a brutal, brutal process.

Idea 2: Music I listened to during this process:
Honestly, I just listened to a lot of albums completely through. At the beginning I would listen to more singles, which is what I usually do, but a few days in I transitioned to listening to albums and mixtapes. Some albums that helped me get through:

Jhene Aiko - Sailing Souls
Tinashe - Aquarius
Childish Gambino - STN MTN / Kauai Mixtape
Logic - Under Pressure
Chris Brown - X
Ty Dolla Sign - Sign Language
PARTYNEXTDOOR - PARTYNEXTDOOR2

Idea 3: Plans for when I get free:
TBD (seriously, I need a life)

Idea 4: Time lapse:
This was my original idea  to take a picture of myself every day. Day 1 lead to quite the disappointment because I used the camera app on my iPhone to take the first picture. If you aren't familiar with the camera on iPhones, they take your picture and reverse it (for reasons unbeknownst to me). The remainder of my pictures I took with snapchat and saved them down so they are not reversed. This results in every picture being normal, save one. Seriously, still upset over this. I almost didn't include the first picture because: (i) it looks terrible, and (ii) doesn't go with the rest of the pictures. But in full disclosure, I included it. But just know that I'm aware of the problem and not happy about it.

Because I wanted to make a time lapse, I had to learn how to do so on my MacBook Pro. Thanks to a lot of googling, I was able figure it out and then make a gif. This gave me the excuse to legitimately use software on my MacBook and learn new skills. I had the hardest time justifying this purchase for the past 3 years, but finally I have used my computer for something more than just browsing the internet and listening to music.




All in all, this was not a terrible experience. There are people who have it worse every day. I feel I made the most of it and I'm just happy I didn't find myself all over the news. Seriously, our country is turning into a bunch of selfish asshats and if all it takes is 21 days of sucking it up in order to calm the general populace and potentially prevent a global pandemic, then just stop complaining and do it. Plus, if she thinks that showcasing that attitude isn't going to make her less employable - she really needs to think again. I'll get off my soapbox now and let you get on with your lives.

Don't forget November brings the beginning of Movember. It's the month when men grow out mustaches and raise money for men's health awareness. If you feel so inclined, here is the link to my page - feel free to donate and give me credit for it (I am fully aware that it is not set up yet, so save your comments. It's not even November yet, relax). I'll be growing that awesome mustache that you saw being showcased in the gif above (I'm shaving November 1 and starting from scratch pursuant to the rules on the website).

Song of the blog (s/o to DJ Mile High)

Finally figured out that I should be posting the song of the blog this way. I know I said earlier that you shouldn't wish ill on me so that I'd be forced to do this more, however sadly I feel like I learned a lot about blogging over the past few weeks. Also, I was forced to realize how out of touch with reality I am these days and that all my pop culture references are from 2+ years ago (seriously, the only current links I have are to news articles). I really need to get a life.


No comments: