Rio
& Santiago: A Novella
As
a disclaimer, this is a long post. It took me a long time to write and the
length got away from me so I wanted to put up front that you’re getting
yourself into a long read with this post (thus I gave this post the novella
moniker).
Hello
all, I apologize for the delay in posting. I sincerely had intended to post
more, however life has gotten in the way. I have severely limited free time and
honestly haven’t been able to put anything together worth reading. While I was
aware of this fact (obviously, given the time constraints that restricted me
from blogging), I became more acutely cognizant of its existence on this trip
to South America. For the past few months (could be year or longer, if I’m
being honest) I have been extremely busy with work and school, and life has
generally gotten in the way. This has resulted in me becoming very tightly
wound and unable to appreciate time with friends, travel, personal connections,
etc. This trip made me not worry about working out (I admit had a few fleeting
thoughts here and there, but they were quickly drowned out by any drink that
was close at hand). Additionally, I couldn’t even have checked my work email or
let that stress me out if I wanted to, so there went half of the stressors in
my life. From now on, I’m taking more out-of-country vacations, I decided. I’m
wasting 12 days of PTO this year and I know I always say “never again” however
I am re-pledging this year. I’ll keep you updated. I am counting on you, my
dedicated fan base, (all 7 of you) to keep me earnest and hold me to these
trips. Plus, if you enjoy these posts, it behooves you to pester me because
more trips = more stories = more posts (it’s simple algebra).
So
enough with my intro screed. You get it, this trip was sweet and gave me a
fresh, and much needed, perspective (yada, yada, yada). Without further ado
here we go. Also, I am presenting this trip in chronological order in order to
give this post a more coherent flow when paired with my stream-of-consciousness
writing.
December
12:
First
day of the trip, and boy oh boy and I am excited. I packed on Wednesday night
and had everything ready. I got up early to get one last swim in before I left
(no cop cars / Ebola scares this time). I’m telling the people there that I’m
going and it’s finally hit me that I’m going. Up until this point, I had kept
the amount of people who knew about this trip to a minimum and had been largely
dismissive about the trip when asked. This was for two main reasons: (i) I
don’t like making a big deal of things about myself (see: my birthdays), and
(ii) I had just finished finals this week and was just too busy to worry about
anything.
So
back to it, finished swimming and came back to my place to change and get ready
to head out for the day (flight was at 7:50 pm). I called my mom to wish her a
happy birthday (she just turned 35, thanks for asking) and tell her about the
upcoming trip, where I’m staying, etc. Then I headed to my friend Carlos’s
place. He somehow convinced his boss that it was “take your friend to work” day
so I was going to work out of his office for the day. His office is close to
the airport and if we split the cab there it was only ~$15, opposed to a $60
ride from my apartment or work.
The
day goes by without a hitch and at 5:15 Carlos and I are both on vacation mode
so we decide to pack it up and call the cab, it’s time to head to the airport
and start this trip. We are waiting for the cab and Carlos pulls out his
passport and then double checks that I have mine as well. Me: “Of course. I’m
not an idiot”. I mean, it was in my blue SMU folder along with my itinerary,
copies of my passport, and my cash for the trp. So I confidently reach into my
backpack to feel the assurance of the folder’s glossy exterior. Except it’s not
there. It’s not anywhere. I don’t think the word panic describes what I was
feeling at that point. I was so far beyond panic: I was feeling anxiety, fury,
panic, desperation that perhaps I just missed it. But no, the karma gods did
not smile on me. That folder was nowhere to be found.
I
grab Carlos’s keys (we had planned to just leave his car at his work garage)
and tear off back to my apartment. It’s around 5:30 and I have 1:30 to go home
and get my passport and come back to the airport. I honestly think all is hopeless
but I have to try. I have to. I booked this flight in July. It was $1,100. I
have to make it.
About 10 minutes into the traffic on my way back home I pretty much gave up all hope. There was no way I was going to make it. I called the American Airlines helpline to see what I could do. Minimum check in time? One hour. Can you check me in from the phone? Nope. Were there any later flights? Of course not. Were there any flights tomorrow that I could get on? One indirect out of Miami, Florida. I was frazzled beyond belief, but the traffic had started to let up. Plus, I checked google maps on the way back to the airport and by the graces of God, 635 wasn’t supposed to be too slow. I did the math in my head: I could get back to the airport by 7:00. I know what the phone line said, however Carlos had assured me that if I got there by 7:00 they would pull a customer service miracle and let me on. To all those who don’t know Carlos – he’s from Mexico and travels internationally frequently. He knew what he was talking about and I had hope.
I
raced home and picked up my folder. Where was it, you ask? Oh just on my
kitchen table, right where I left it when I took it out to look at my
itinerary. I took it out and set it down as I sat at the table, but forgot to
put it back in my bag. Honestly, that one of the dumbest actions I have taken
in recent memory. Do not bring this up with me. I feel sufficiently dumb about it and no, it
does not happen to everyone. Your efforts at consoling serve only to feed the
flame whereby it is confirmed that, yes, it was completely my fault.
Back
en route to the airport (by the way, I hope you, reader, are on the edge of
your seat. Because you have no clue how much adrenaline was pumping though my
system during this entire process). I’m driving fast, but not recklessly (90
MPH, tops) in order to get there on time. I got to the airport and just valeted
Carlos’s car at the gate outside. At this point I don’t care how much it costs
I just want to make this flight more than anything. I race inside and to my
surprise – there’s no line! I hand the people my passport and explain my
urgency. They seem very accommodating and then ask a very bizarre question:
“are you going to Sydney?” “Uhhhh, no.” It turns out I went to the Quantas desk
– which would explain the lack of a line as well as the friendly and
accommodating customer service (yes, American Airlines, that was a jab at you.
More to come shortly). Well, shoot. This is awful – the American desk was 20
gates away. So away I go, sprinting with a half-open backpack (I know because
there were many friendly people who informed me during my run), my duffle bag
around my shoulder, and my boat shoes (FYI – they do not compete head-to-head
against NIKE for a reason).
I
arrive at American and immediately explain to the gentleman manning the kiosks
my situation. He points to a kiosk and tells me to go to work. Me: “there’s
nothing you can do? My flight leaves soon.” Him: point to kiosk. Thanks, bro.
Small surprise your job is being overtaken by a machine without sentient
thoughts.
The
kiosk doesn’t let me check in because I’m too close to flight departure –
however I was so close (6:58 vs 7:50 departure). 8 minutes. I even saw someone
from my group checking their bag! So I try to jump to someone at the desk.
Them: “nope, get in line.” I’m flipping out – so I ask people in the line if
they mind if I cut. I am obviously distressed and I explain that my flight is
50 minutes away now. Most are accommodating, except one. One lone soul. One
lone, black, cold, frozen soul. Seriously, this lady was like “no, I don’t
care. I’ve been waiting in line.” And as I sat helplessly in line, I watched
her get served and then flash me a smile as she gleefully headed to security.
No, I didn’t retaliate or say anything during this entire process (very
uncharacteristic of me, I know). However, cold, awful lady, you know who you
are and there is a nice spot in hell waiting for you.
I
am now waiting in this line and have resigned myself to have lost to the
corporate bureaucracy that is American Airlines. I text my friend who works for
American if he can remotely check me in with his corporate sway – not expecting
anything to come of it but hoping for the best. He calls me immediately and is
incredulous that I have received such a warm customer service experience. He
can’t help me but he says to just cut everyone and talk to someone (so much for
me trying to be a rule follower – I thought I learned my lesson a few blog
posts ago but apparently not). For the record, there are 2 employees helping
customers check in, leaving an absurdly slow line and relatively unapproachable
gate agents. I nonetheless crawl under the rope and plead with someone. They
say if it’s under an hour there’s nothing I could do. If I didn’t have a
checked bag they could check me in. And no, they can’t send my bag on another
flight due to international regulations. Also, they remind me that it’s 7:30 …
they suggest that I think about getting to the airport earlier (in their
defense, perhaps I was drooling with a glazed-over look in my eyes, thus
looking like the type of person who could actually use that sort of advice).
So
game over. I lost. Next flight that I
can take is in 2 days. Only cost me $600 to change.
Oh,
also, turns out that the flight I missed was delayed 2 hours. So much for not
checking in with enough time. With 68 open seats on the flight, to boot.
Thanks, American. I will keep this in mind next time I have a business flight.
December
12-13:
Generally
moping around and sleeping in. Trying to make the best of a situation only goes
so far when I’m getting texts from Brazil about all the sweet things everyone
is doing. That was supposed to be me! Sigh. At least I really like living in
Dallas and have good friends.
My
previously-mentioned friend who works for American, who shall remain unnamed
due to his empathy and agreement that his employer treated me awfully (let’s
abbreviate him as AAF), travels frequently for work. As a consequence, we do
not see each other often or get to catch up. So I chose to look at this whole
debacle as a blessing in disguise because we were able to catch up and go out
on Friday night – we hadn’t seen each other since August, just how things go
sometimes.
On
Saturday evening my friend, AAF, was nice enough to take me to the airport and
let me into the AA club where I could get free food and drink. Yes, I did gorge
on food and I drank a good amount of Heinekens as well (I can count the number
on my God-given digits Mom, relax). But before I could get to the club I had to
check in. And for the third time at this point (including my past 2 flights to
and from NYC) I was unable to check in at a kiosk. So much for saving time.
Myself and AAF are stuck in the stupid line that I was stuck in 2 days ago.
Even though I didn’t even check a bag this time (learned my lesson) and came 3
hours early. Thanks, American. After a solid 30 minute wait in line (thanks,
American) I had to go through the process of the gate agent being unable to
check me in and having to call some internal hotline which takes another 10-15
minutes. But I made it.
December
14:
Finally
hit Brazil at 11 am! Slept a solid 3 hours on the plane, tops (that plane
sucked, American. For real. I took my blanket you gave me and put it under my
butt for extra cushioning). And although we had made it, the 9 of us who came on
this flight were a little apprehensive. We were supposed to go on the Rio bus
tour and see Christ the Redeemer (which takes a pass you must buy in advance), but
our flight was also delayed 2 hours (which did give me more time to drink free
beer with AAF which I guess wasn’t the worst thing in the world). In light of
the delay, we were concerned that we will be unable to make it to the hotel in
time and make it to the bus in time in order to make the tour. My morale had
hit a new low for this trip (seriously, these past few days were no bueno), but
a text from one of the people already at the hotel informs us that the tour was
pushed back an hour and our itinerary was wrong (this would soon become a theme).
Feeling
relieved, I grabbed a cab with two other guys and we head to the hotel. In the
first 10 seconds of the cab ride we also realized how screwed we are in this
country. One guy doesn’t speak Spanish at all, I can speak limited Spanish but
it’s nothing to brag about, and the third is fluent. Between us three, we all
exchanged blank stares when the cabbie tried to confirm where we were headed.
Portuguese is not Spanish – got it. We pulled out our itinerary and just
pointed to the name of the hotel and were on our way without further incident.
Arriving
at the hotel I went straight up to my room with Carlos, as he was already
checked in. I pound on the door, supremely excited to finally be in Brazil.
Unfortunately, Carlos was not as excited to see me as he was still recovering
from the night before.
I
noticed in the first few days that I was gone that people had already begun to
weave bonds and were gravitating to each other. Yes, everyone had friends
before we came and had certain friends that they preferred over others, however
these bonds were new and this was a different dynamic. Obviously, I felt a
little left out but I’m not here to whine about it. I just wanted to comment on
how quickly these things happen – it was just interesting to me. I almost felt
like an outsider in a group with which I was familiar and all who were excited
for me to join. It’s just how these things happen. And of course it always goes
away as you begin to have shared experiences.
Being
the good friend that Carlos is, he rallied and we headed to the rooftop bar. I
got a caipirinha (famous
drink of Rio for those who don’t know) and forced Carlos to get a beer so I
don’t drink alone. Carlos is not up for it so I end up drinking his beer too,
so I was two drinks down within 15 minutes of arrival. I wasn’t mad. We went
downstairs to pick up a quick bite from the juice place around the corner
before the tour left.
An
aside - I was very afraid to go to Rio because I had heard it was so dangerous.
I have been wanting to go since sophomore year at Miami when I took a Brazilian
culture class but could never find anyone to go with me and didn’t want to go
alone. I couldn’t even persuade anyone to go with me for the World Cup this
year – so this trip has been my best opportunity to go. So I was surprised to
know that we could walk around in the city without fear (at least where we
stayed in Copacabana and Ipanema). These juice bars are everywhere and have
juice, smoothies, and food (I didn’t get a picture of one, I’m sorry). So I got
an unidentified smoothie (honestly I have no clue what it was, but it was
amazing) and a chicken empanada. I didn’t know Brazil had empanadas – however
they do, and I probably ate 10 of them during my 2 days there as they were
everywhere and pretty good.
After
changing some money and feeling rich ($100 USD = $265 Reals), we embarked on
the city tour. Our tour guide was very nice and was happy to show us around and
describe to us the culture of Rio. People there are very proud of their city
and their culture. We saw various sites, nothing that I took pictures of or
remember – in my defense we were driving by them in the bus and didn’t stop at
any. But the highlight of this trip was the visit to Christ the Redeemer. The
bus drops us off to get in line to see the statue and having just chugged 2
drinks and a couple waters shortly before, I wanted to make use of the bus
facilities before getting in line (my policy is that you never know the next
time you’ll have an opportunity to use a restroom, so when you have the opportunity
you should take it). I’m doing my thing when the bus starts pulling away! In my
head I’m freaking out, because I’m about to be kidnapped and miss the Christ
the Redeemer tour after finally having calmed down being assured I would get to
see it after all. I tried shouting from inside but the bus driver couldn’t hear
so I had to open the door and shout “Senor! Pared!” hoping that: (i) he would
be able to hear me, (ii) that actually meant “stop” in Spanish, (iii) my poor
Spanish would translate to Portuguese and he would stop. Moral of the story: he
stopped, regardless of the reason and I was able to catch up to the group.
Unfortunately,
Christ the Redeemer was cloudy, but we still attempted to get some good photos.
Oh and they also sell drinks at the bottom of the mountain, at various stops
along the way up and down, and at the top. (When I first arrived in Rio, one of
my classmates said “no sober moments in Rio” and he wasn’t kidding. It wasn’t
just the students who were pushing the partying, it was the city itself).
An
interesting event also happened on our way back down. The trains that run up
and down the mountain usually run like clockwork so we were puzzled as to why
we were so delayed on the way back down. It turns out that a Mexican girl tried
to kill herself on the rails. The most confusing part about that was that the
trains literally go 2 miles an hour so we all were a little confused as to what
she intended to do. No commentary on this really, just something that happened
and I am including it in the interest of full disclosure.
After
Christ the Redeemer and some more driving around the city, we were let loose to
our own devices. One blessing of me arriving later was that it everyone had
started to work the kinks out of the dining experiences. The first two nights I
guess everyone had tried to be inclusive and go to dinner as a group of 20+.
This ran into several logistical issues that people were now looking to avoid,
so I was happy to have avoided some of that drama and got the benefit of the
learning curve. We ended up going to a sushi place in Ipanema which was really
good. We got a countless amount of appetizers, rolls (seriously, I would
estimate 15-20), bottles of wine, and caipirinhas and the bill cost $75/each
with tip. Gotta love that exchange rate.
We
then got to take a scenic cab ride around Ipanema and Copacabana. It wasn’t
mean to be a scenic cab ride however we didn’t know exactly where we were going
and don’t speak Portuguese - in that event, we found it local custom for the
cabbie takes his liberty to show you all around the city all for the small cost
of 10x what your cab ride was supposed to cost. Such warming customs there.
We
eventually made it home in one piece and had to be up bright and early for the
Company visits in the morning.
December
15:
The
first visit was to the BNDES, which is a government investment bank. Although
quite hung over, I participated like an all-star and peppered the presenter
with insightful questions (seriously, they were good questions and I honestly
was curious about how they did business). Once the presentation finished, the
majority of the class yelled at me for extending the presentation to 2 hours.
The
plan after the presentation was that we had ~2 hours to eat lunch before we had
to jump on a bus and drive an hour to see our next visit. Most people decided
to eat at this place called Café Colombiano, (supposedly was on the Travel Channel, it looked
awesome) but a few of us opted for a street juice place so we could go see the
Cathedral. After a quick empanada and guarana juice I was refueled and ready to
roll. Below are some pictures from the juice bar – didn’t get any of the bar
itself but just the surrounding streets.
The
cathedral was not at all like a traditional Catholic place of worship. I don’t
know how I felt about it individually, but it was cool in that it was
different. By this time, Carlos had bowed out of the group and asked that I
take some pictures for his mom (so here you are buddy!).
The
Monday afternoon visit was to Oceaneering, which is an oil & gas services
firm. We had to drive an hour across the bay to see this place. It was now
about 1 pm on Monday, my only full day in Rio. The sun was shining and to be
honest there was no where I wanted to be more than the beach or exploring the
city. So I was pretty salty about having to drive 2 hours just to go see this
company for a 2 hour visit – this was my entire afternoon! Nonetheless, I kept
the complaining to a reasonable level (I did make my voice heard, don’t get me
wrong) and trudged on with this company visit. I originally had been most
excited with this company visit because it was closely-related to my field of
work and some of my colleagues were familiar with this company and their work
done in Houston, Asia, etc. However, we ended up going to a factory that
manufactures long cables that go from rigs down to wells and drill bits (they
called them umbilicals). It was even more boring than it sounds. The engineers
in our group were excited about it and were engaged however everyone else was
pretty much hot and wanted to get back.
To
the credit of our tour guides, they did land us back in Rio at ~5 pm as
planned. This gave us enough daylight to go to the beach for a few hours. Our
hotel was right on the beach, so all we had to do was run across the street and
hit the surf. It was great and I’m really happy I got the opportunity to get
out there, even if it was only for a short amount of time.
The
beach also gave me an opportunity to play the game “eat the trail mix and nuts
Evan had brought on the trip”. As we were driving back from Oceaneering, the
tour guide informed us that we couldn’t bring any food into Chile because they
are so protective of their wineries and don’t want to introduce any foreign
cultures. It seemed a little overprotective to me, but I guess I could
understand . The objection I took to this, however, was that our tour guide
phrased it like we were idiots to not know this. As in, “don’t forget that you
can’t take nuts with you into Chile. Don’t be the ignorant person who forgets and
is detained in the airport for being so careless.” Oh yeah, totally. How could
any of us be so stupid to break laws that we didn’t even know existed?!
Dinner
in Rio that night consisted of just a place along the strip in Copacabana,
which was not great. You would think with that prime real estate, there would
be good restaurants but there isn’t. This was confirmed by others on the trip
who had fallen folly to the same logic of expensive real estate = palatable
food. After dinner we headed out to the
bars for a little before our flight to Santiago. We had a flight at 7 am and
due to the inefficiencies of the roads and airports in Brazil we had to leave
the hotel at 4:30 so no one was really looking forward to getting up so early.
December
16:
Still
at the bars but we’re sticking to beers and some celebratory shots in an
attempt to be sober enough to board the plane in a few hours. This was the
night that I really wondered how Brazil operates as a country. We were out at
the bars until 4 am on a Monday night but we certainly didn’t have the place to
ourselves. Instead the bars were packed with what appeared to be decent people
who have real jobs. I have no clue how this works. Back home, my alarm is about
to go off at that time. Chalk it up to cultural differences and move on.
So
we all make the scheduled bus time and head out for the airport. As a reminder:
I’ve been drinking for a few hours, am running on zero sleep, and have the
recent drama surrounding my first Rio flight seared freshly in my brain. So when
people start incessantly asking if I have my passport and customs slip I may
have been a little testy. And then when I didn’t have the email confirmation of
my plane ticket that everyone else had, I may have had a small panic attack and
refused to talk to anyone until I successfully checked in. End of story: I made
it on the plane and all was good in the world.
The
flight from Rio to Santiago was much longer than expected, which I honestly
blame on my own poor expectations. I don’t know what I expected from a
cross-continent flight however 5 hours just seemed a bit ridiculous to me.
Nonetheless I received an aisle seat and proceeded to pass out for the next 5
hours, successfully avoiding what some classified as, “terrifying turbulence”.
We landed in Santiago, ready to start part II of the trip. But before moving to
Santiago, I wanted to hit you with some knowledge:
Some
Rio observations and social commentary:
1.
Brazil is a developing economy. It has been a few years since I went to Costa
Rica and remembered what these kinds of countries are like. The past few
out-of-country visits for me were to a resort in Cancun (pretty much counts as
a dirty Miami Beach), and Monterrey (they call themselves the 51st
state for a reason). So I was not entirely prepared for the smells (not great)
and the abundance of favelas (think: shantytowns. Of note, I was informed that
favelas are now called “communities” as there is an emerging middle class who
hails from the favelas and they are trying to reduce the negative stigma that
is associated with the word itself, and harsh realities that are all-too-common
there).
2.
Graffiti: if there is a surface that can have graffiti in Rio, it has graffiti.
I’m not kidding. You will see the usual suspects: highways, underpasses, old
buildings. But then as I spent more time in the city I think the only locations
to be spared were churches (but I won’t put money against me just missing it).
It really contributed to the city seeming very low class and dirty.
3. American
Influence: The young men walking around the city could easily have been
mistaken for characters from the show Jersey Shore. They were tanned (their
tans were real at least), muscle-bound, and covered in tattoos. I was expecting
slimmer men who look like soccer players I suppose, but it seems that the
American culture has rubbed off in a bad way. While the weightlifting seemed
limited to the young men, the tattoos were not. It was impossible to find
someone out on the beach without one. Men and women, young and old alike, all
were covered in tattoos. Sorry, Brazil, for our trashy culture has penetrated
and begun to ruin yours.
4.
The Women: everyone says that the Brazilian women are the most beautiful in the
world. I am still waiting to see it. Walking down the street, most girls were
average looking – and that is to be expected in any public setting. Not all
chicks can be 9s and 10s, however I didn’t see any. I have seen the models from
Victoria Secret, and I agree that those Brazilians are the most beautiful women
I have ever seen. But there aren’t any roaming around the streets of Rio. I
heard that the most beautiful ones are of European descent and are more
affluent – but even hearing stories from those who went to some of the nicer
nightclubs, they weren’t knocked off their feet like they had expected.
5.
No English: no one in Rio spoke English. The people at our hotel and our tour
guide were pretty much it. Some were left with the conclusion that people from
Rio were a bit elitist and did not want to speak in English to the dumb
Americans and would rather see us struggle and/or not help us at all (as the
French are notorious for). Or else, the widespread fluency in English is a sign
of the status of your economy – i.e. developed nations with better education
systems result in a higher English fluency than emerging nations (think about
it, in Europe everyone speaks English). Whatever the reason, we were resigned
to using our Spanish to help us get through. While some things translated
better than others, it worked relatively well especially when compared to the
alternative of speaking English.
I
liked Rio but was slightly disappointed after I had hyped it up all these
years. For those playing at home, I would relate Rio most closely to New
Orleans. Honestly, many people wanted to end the trip after Rio – yes there was
definitely an element of being over-partied, but the city also was just
unglamorous compared to expectations. I have said this about New Orleans: it’s
fun, but when you go around the French Quarter it’s just dirty. That’s how the
whole city of Rio was. Additionally, the people do not seem to care about
anything. In their defense, they seem also to be very happy, and there is
something to be said for that (the beach was packed on weekday – defending my
point). But it just seemed that no one cared and so it was not hard for me to
justify that Brazil was stuck in emerging economy mode when so few seemed to
care about anything. This can be starkly contrasted to Santiago, which was a
pristine city, people prided themselves on being punctual, and people actually
seemed to go to work (Santiago is also rated as the best place for investment
in South America and has an “A” investment rating by S&P and Moody’s).
Back
to it. While
we were walking out of the airport in Santiago we all immediately noticed what
a nicer country Chile was. We didn’t even make it past the parking lot to make
this observation. The first cars we saw were a Range Rover, BMW M6, and a few
Audis. In Rio I think I saw one Mercedes Benz in the 48 hours I was there.
We
also noticed a cultural difference. In Rio our tour guide was all smiles and
happy to be there and just had a positive disposition in general. It felt like
we had been relocated to an Eastern Bloc country when we were being lectured by
our tour guide on the bus ride back to the hotel. First, she talked down to us like
we were children. Second, and this was a recurring theme in Santiago, she
compared Chile to Brazil by highlighting the laziness and other bad qualities
of Brazil. It’s hard to tell if that is just how Chileans feel - as in Brazil gets a lot of press however it
does not have as strong of an economy and they are more of a party people, so Chileans feel it is
undeserved and that Chile should receive more of the limelight. Or if it was
because the presenters talking to us knew we just came from Brazil and wanted
to compare. Either way, it seemed like they were trying to get our group to
like Chile by pitting it against Brazil (and I can’t say it was an entirely
ineffective strategy, because I really liked Chile).
We
arrived at the hotel which was completely ready for us to check in (a big
difference from the hotel in Rio, apparently). The hotel was really nice and
resembled something like we would stay at in the US. So on those two points,
Chile was already winning the battle of South America.
We had some time to go grab lunch before our bus tour of the city and a group of us just went to some Italian pasta place. Not really getting a feel for the culture just yet, however everyone spoke Spanish and the menus were in Spanish so we could finally make use of our Spanish speakers (who, up to this point, had been utter disappointments).
The city tour had less sights than Rio, however in walking around it was apparent that Santiago was a much nicer city. There was substantially less graffiti, which honestly spoke more to a city’s socioeconomic status than I had previously thought. All of the buildings were nice and new – however this is partly due to the political instability in the country. For example, the military staged a coup of the government in the 70’s (or 80’s? Give me a break. I told you I pulled an all-nighter at the bars the night before) and the military bombed the presidential residence with the president inside. Thus the presidential residence is only like 30 years old. Also of note, there is so much less security there than in the US. Granted there have been a few stories about people breaking into the White House lately, but there was almost zero security around the president’s house. I wouldn’t have even needed to jump a fence (there were none) or avoided any guards (none in uniforms at least) in order to knock on the front door.
We
then walked around the city with our tour guides and went to this city square
called Plaza de Armas. It was a lively place with artists painting and selling
their works, caricature drawing (I have never done one, but have been tempted
from time to time), families running around, and even a street performer. I
didn’t get any pictures of this guy, but he had this yo-yo looking thing that
he spun on a string and then threw into the air. He was doing all sorts of
tricks with it and he was pretty good – so I was enjoying myself as an
anonymous bystander in the crowd watching him. I did get nervous, however, when
he started calling people in the crowd out and making banter with them. I was
praying that he didn’t target me because I would have just sheepishly smiled
(how embarrassing) or more likely just have walked away (he actually sent some
kid packing during his show. I have no clue what the kid did wrong – nothing by
my account. He was like 20 and just standing watching – the performer said
something to him and everyone started laughing and the kid just walked away. So
I was just trying to avoid that).
The cathedral there was gorgeous, much
more traditional than the one in Rio:
Then
we went to this open air market. It was fun to browse and see the different
knick knacks available for purchase. I didn’t get much, because I don’t like to
just buy crap for the sake of buying crap (just like I don’t like to receive
crap from your trip either). Stories are enough, I don’t need the cognitive
dissonance every time I try to chuck something). But I did find a funny
cultural similarity when walking around the market. Carlos commented that
during vacations his parents would always drag the family to these stupid
markets and it would be terribly boring. I immediately laughed because I was
already thinking in my head how my mom would love this market and could
probably spend hours, if not days, browsing the labyrinth of shops.
That
night we went to a dinner place I can’t remember and out for drinks at a place
I can’t remember. I think it’s a combination of: (i) taking so long after the
trip to write this post and (ii) it probably wasn’t that great anyway since I
can specifically remember the names of places we went on other nights. [Edit: I
remembered the place. Can’t remember the name but it was decent. Had lots of
wine.]
December
17:
Wednesday
morning we had two speakers come in and speak to us: a government agency
targeting foreign investment in Chile as well as Jones Lang LaSalle. They were
fine, and educational, but honestly I don’t feel like boring you with the
details of those meetings so I’m going to skip them (you can thank me later).
In
the afternoon we got to go up in the tallest building in South America (63
stories). The building isn’t open yet and is not open to the public, so I felt
it was quite an honor to go up to the top and take some pictures and take in
the view. This honor was slightly diminished when we found out that this
building had started construction over 10 years ago and had just been left in
its current state of almost-completion for the past 4-5 years because they
couldn’t find enough tenants to fill the space. So close, and yet so far.
During
our city tour the previous day, our tour guides told us about a novel concept:
coffee with legs. Essentially, the city had coffee shops where you can get
coffee served to you by scantly-clad women. The genesis of this was from during
the dictatorship era when there were strict curfews. Because the men could not
go out at night they instead devised a way for them to have some fun during
normal daylight hours. If you know me,
you know that I like to partake in the local customs in order to get the full
feel for a new city and culture. In this spirit, a few of us went out in search
of a coffee with legs establishment. However, again, if you know me, you know
that I do not settle for second-best and was not about to go into just any
coffee shop with its windows blacked out (a sure sign of a coffee with legs
bar). Instead I checked with the guides the day before on which one would
present the best … service. After a long journey (people there would “pretend”
not to know where it was and sent us on a few wild goose chases) and we finally
found our destination: Ikabaru. Along the way we walked in circles for a good
30 minutes and stopped in another coffee place along the way. My defense of the
extra stop is: (i) we needed a basis for comparison for Ikabaru’s coffee (and
indeed, I sampled the fares at both locations) and (ii) we needed a basis for
comparison for Ikabaru’s … service. Conclusion: I can confirm that the coffee
and service were better at Ikabaru.
Dinner
that night was at Aqui Esta Coco, which by my account, was the best meal I had
in South America. In a stroke of unbelievably bad luck, Chilean Sea Bass was
puzzlingly out of season and we couldn’t eat it. So I got a risotto with sea
scallops, and it was amazing. More amazing were the ceviche and the king crab
crepe appetizers – literally the best crepe I’ve ever had in my life (full
disclosure: I’ve had maybe 2 crepes ever. So it’s a small sample size).
Later
we had a rousing night at Urracas, a club in Santiago). Carlos, true to form,
bought bottle service and things got generally out of hand. Good times.
December
18:
The
morning site visit was a little hazy … so you’ll have to ask someone else on
the trip the details …
However,
Thursday afternoon was the winery tour. This was the most hyped-up visit that
we had on this trip and everyone had been looking forward to it all week,
especially after sampling the local wines with every meal. And the winery
definitely did not disappoint.
We
did a deep dive into their accounting systems and how they are able to blend
FIFO and LIFO inventory under IFRS, thus more accurately capturing the physical
flow of inventory through their stores.
They showed us their prospectuses that they deliver to their private
equity parents and how they present data in a meaningful way that can easily be
interpreted. They even showed us their internal HR evaluation system, which was
close to what could be found in the US!
Sike.
We got walked around for 20 minutes and then got drunk. Mission accomplished. They set out a wine and cheese pairing which I have never done before. We all had 4 wines and associated cheeses to try. Our guide began to walk us through how you evaluate wine and how you check for colors, flavors, etc before trying it. Most of us have zero experience with wine tasting so as expected, we were pretty bad with it. When prompted for what colors we see: "purple!". When prompted for what flavors we taste: "grape!". We can only try so hard.
December
19:
After
another late night at Urracas (Yes, we got bottle service, obviously. Carlos
was present.) we rose at the crack of noon ready to seize the day! Originally
we were supposed to go to the Andes and go hiking – I was super pumped about
it. But apparently not enough people signed up so the trip was cancelled,
leaving us with nothing to do. Being the enterprising individuals that we are,
four of us decided to try to go on adventure day of our own. The people at the
hotel said we just had a short subway ride and then would essentially be at this
mountain where we could go white water rafting, zip lining, etc. Sounded
awesome and only 30 minutes away? Sounded too good to be true!
And
it was too good to be true. As I had previously mentioned, the people of South
America have a terrible concept of time. We took the subway to the last stop –
which by the way, the subway in Santiago is nicer than the subway in New York
(Santiago: 1. New York: 0. Sorry guys, I’m never moving) – which took us an
hour. So we’re already 100% over time budget. We then wandered around this town
a little and got on a bus. Let me tell you, this was not a bus like you would
find in any developed country. Next to my arm was this bottle of some sort of
swamp juice that appeared to be holding a handmade sign up. It was pretty
gross. After we got off, Carlos said he thought we were going to get kidnapped.
There was one redeeming quality to this bus: it was a Mercedes. And you better
believe we milked that detail as hard as we could when we got back. Anyway, we
took this bus for another half hour until we got to some lodge/treehouse place.
(For the record, without Carlos or Enrique, myself and Alex (the other gringo)
would have been more than up the creek). This lodge/treehouse had no concept of
time, should have seen that coming, so by the time we finished lunch it was
4:30. We were 1:30 away from Santiago and we had to leave for the airport at ~8
pm. So we just turned around and
headed back into the town.
The
last day wasn’t so bad, despite my recounting of the story. We had some good
laughs, saw a part of the country that no one else did, had good food
(honestly, this restaurant was pretty darn good. They had this spicy cilantro sauce
for your bread that was simply amazing. We topped everything with it.), and
spent it with good company. It was the first, and only, full non-regimented day
I had and it was great. I truly enjoyed it and will miss Chile.
Plane
ride home was fine, just another night of no sleep. I ran out of steam so I won’t bore you with the
deets.










No comments:
Post a Comment